Your browser version is outdated. We recommend that you update your browser to the latest version.


Canyon Road mines

Peerless, Utah

Way back in 1916,  brothers by the name of Charles and William Sweet bought land west of Helper Utah and began mining coal. The next year, they sold out to the Peerless Coal Company and the town of Peerless was created. Mined out coal was shipped via rail car and according to records, peak production was during World War One at 2000 tons of coal shipped daily. During the peak mining years of Peerless, some 300 people were residents of the town, most of which worked in the mine. The town boasted of having homes, a Post Office, a school  and of course, a pool hall. By 1938, coal production began to dwindle and by World War Two, very little was mined. The town ceased to exist in 1954 when the mine closed for good and everyone left. All that is left now are old buildings covered in graffiti and weeds. 


Standardville Utah

With the discovery of coal in the canyon, Standardville was established in 1912 and was planned out with a lot of detail. In fact, the towns design set the "standard" for towns established and was thus called Standardville, or so they say. The town had its company store as well as a hospital, a barber shop, the mandatory school as well as tennis courts. Though Standardville set the standard for town design, it was a true mining town complete with explosions and murders. During a mine strike in 1922, striking miners fired upon a train carrying new miners and a chase ensued. One mine guard was killed and 2 others wounded. In 1930, an explosion in the mine killed 20 of the 29 men in the mine instantly. During the rescue of the remaining 9 miners, a cave in that resulted from the explosion killed 3 of the would be rescuers. The nine were able to finally get out and lived another day. As with Peerless, Standardville prospered until just after World War Two and finally shut down and went bankrupt. Another company bought the mine and tries its luck on coal mining, but they too were closed after 2 short years of business in 1950. With the mine gone, so were the inhabitants with the exception of 2 families. I am unable to verify this but according to legend, 2 families continued living there till the 1970's.

moving up the canyon


In 1915, Leon Rains, along with a P J Quealy bought land west of Standardville and began their own coal mine operation. This town followed the others with its own company store, a school, houses and a bath house. It is situated along with 2 other mines and they all eventually blended into one operation. The mine also followed the others and changed owners a few times and finally shut down in the mid 50's. As of now, there are no mining operations going on in the area. We did meet the land owner who told us he owned the whole canyon outright and it was now just used for farming. There were locked gates at the end of the road but the opportunity to hike and explore this area further are endless.  

The end of Spring Canyon